Searching the catalog:
The catalog opens to the basic search page. The dropdown menu next to the search box offers several searching options, including Keyword, Titles, Authors, and Subjects.
- Searching by Keyword:
Simply enter the full word that you are looking for, such as impressionist - case does not matter. Click the "Search" button. All the books in the collection with catalog records containing the word impressionist be retrieved.
- Searching by Title, Author, or Subject:
Searching by Keyword often provides a large number of unwanted or irrelevant results. If you know exactly what you are looking for, searching by Title, Author or Subject is generally a better choice. Select Title, Author, or Subject from the drop-down menu next to the search box. Subject refers to Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) which can retrieve more relevant results than keyword searches.
- sample Author search:
- Select Author from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the author's name - last name, first name: Andersen, Jeffrey, for example.
- Select "Search".
- Punctuation is ignored: Andersen Jeffrey will retrieve the same results as Andersen, Jeffrey
Understanding search results:
After performing a search, the system displays the results in a list. Each record contains the full title, the location and the item's availability. If nothing was found, a blank list will appears. Click the "Search Again" link and try a different search. Check your spelling, use different terms. If you find more records than can fit on a single page, there will be a "Next" link at the bottom of the page. Use the "Next" and "Previous" links to scroll or page through your entire set of search results. Click on any title in the results list to see the complete record.
Managing search results with the Clipboard:
Use the Clipboard to temporarily store and save records while continuing to search the catalog.
- To save a record you are viewing, click on the "Add to Clipboard" link at the top of the record.
- View your saved records by clicking on the Clipboard tab.
- Download records from the Clipboard. To download records from the Clipboard page:
- You must have at least one record saved.
- Click on the "Clipboard" tab.
- Click on the "Report" link.
- A list of the record(s) will open in a new window.
- Use your browser toolbar to print or save the records.
- When finished, close the window.
- Click on Return to Findset to return to your search results.
- Clear the Clipboard by using the "Empty Clipboard" link.
- NOTE: the Clipboard is automatically emptied when you signout.
When you finish searching, please signout from the catalog.